Human Resource Management (HRM) is a crucial aspect of any successful company. The HR department plays a vital role in investing in the organization's human capital and implementing various activities to ensure efficient and effective economic output. Hewlett Packard (HP), a renowned multinational information technology company, has developed exceptional HR practices that contribute to its success.
The 7 Core HR Functions at Hewlett Packard
HP focuses on seven core HR functions that encompass a wide range of activities. These functions are:
- Recruitment and Selection: HP understands the importance of finding the right candidates for each role. They meticulously define job specifications, screen applicants, and conduct interviews to ensure a perfect fit. Placing the right people in the right positions enhances employee retention and fosters a happier workforce.
- Training and Development: HP invests in its employees' development by addressing skill gaps and providing necessary tools for improvement. This investment not only increases employee satisfaction and morale but also attracts potential recruits who seek opportunities for growth.
- Performance Management: HP implements a comprehensive performance management process that includes regular appraisals and goal-setting sessions. This process allows for effective communication between employees and managers, aligning individual and team goals with the organization's strategic objectives.
- Employee Relations: HP focuses on maintaining positive relationships between employees and employers. They create and enforce fair policies that promote organizational performance, loyalty, and engagement among staff members.
- Employment Law and Compliance: HP stays up to date with employment laws and ensures that its policies and practices comply with these regulations. This commitment helps avoid legal complications and promotes equality in the workplace.
- Compensation and Benefits: HP offers competitive compensation packages and a wide range of benefits to attract, retain, and reward its employees. This focus on job satisfaction directly impacts motivation, efficiency, and productivity in the workplace.
- Administration, Payroll & HR Systems: HP places importance on efficient HR administration, including maintaining employee data, calculating taxes, and processing payroll. These administrative duties provide the foundation for the other HR functions to operate smoothly.
Outsourcing HR Functions
While HP excels in various HR functions, it is worth considering outsourcing certain tasks to specialized HR consultancy firms. Functions commonly outsourced include high-volume recruiting, temporary staffing, background checks, payroll, and benefits administration. Outsourcing these functions allows HP to focus on its core competencies and benefit from the expertise and advanced systems provided by HR consultancy firms.
On the other hand, functions that are typically kept in-house at HP include employee relations, compensation design and delivery, talent development, performance management, and HR department management. These functions require a deep understanding of the organization's culture and specific needs.Hewlett packard's innovation history: from calculators to 3d printing
Benefits of HP's HR Practices
HP's HR practices have several benefits for the organization:
- Employee Retention: By investing in training and development, HP creates a supportive environment that encourages employees to stay with the company for the long term.
- Increased Morale and Motivation: HP's compensation and benefits packages, along with its performance management process, contribute to higher employee morale and motivation.
- Attracting Top Talent: HP's focus on recruitment and selection ensures that the company attracts top talent, enhancing its competitive advantage.
- Legal Compliance: By staying up to date with employment laws, HP avoids legal complications and promotes fairness and equality in the workplace.
- Efficient HR Administration: HP's meticulous attention to HR administration ensures smooth operations and accurate data management.
Hewlett Packard's HR practices are integral to the company's success. By focusing on recruitment and selection, training and development, performance management, employee relations, employment law and compliance, compensation and benefits, and administration, payroll & HR systems, HP creates a conducive work environment that promotes employee satisfaction, productivity, and organizational growth.