When it comes to enterprise-level storage solutions, Hewlett Packard (HP) is a leading provider. One of their standout offerings is the HP Smart Array G6 Controller, which provides exceptional performance, storage capacity, and connectivity options.
- What is HPE Smart Array Controller?
- How to Install the Smart Array Controller?
- How to Access HP Smart Array Configuration Utility?
- How to Disable HP Smart Array?
Frequently Asked Questions
- Can I use the Smart Array G6 Controller with SATA drives?
- Can I expand the capacity of my storage arrays with the Smart Array G6 Controller?
- Does the Smart Array G6 Controller support RAID configurations?
- Is the Smart Array G6 Controller compatible with HPE Synergy D3940 Gen10 Storage Module?
- Can I encrypt the data stored on the drives connected to the Smart Array G6 Controller?
What is HPE Smart Array Controller?
The HPE Smart Array G6 Controller is a powerful storage controller that offers enterprise-class performance, reliability, security, and efficiency. It is designed to meet the evolving data storage needs of businesses. With support for 12 Gb/s SAS and PCIe 0, this controller maximizes storage performance and provides fast data transfer rates.
The Smart Array G6 Controller features eight internal SAS lanes and eight external SAS lanes, making it compatible with both SAS and SATA drives. This versatility allows businesses to connect the controller to various storage modules, such as the HPE Synergy D3940 Gen10 Storage Module.
One of the standout features of the Smart Array G6 Controller is its support for Mixed Mode operations of RAID and HBA simultaneously. This allows businesses to configure their storage arrays to meet their specific requirements. Additionally, the controller offers encryption for data-at-rest on any drive, ensuring the security of sensitive information.Hewlett packard dubai office: reliable support & solutions
To ensure uninterrupted power supply and protection against data loss, the HPE Smart Array G6 Controller is supported by the HPE Smart Storage Battery. This battery, sold separately, provides backup power for the controller and other connected devices.
How to Install the Smart Array Controller?
Installing the HPE Smart Array G6 Controller is a straightforward process. Here are the steps to follow:
- Ensure that your server is powered off and disconnected from the power source.
- Locate the PCIe slot on your server where you want to install the controller.
- Remove the cover or bracket from the PCIe slot.
- Align the Smart Array G6 Controller with the PCIe slot and gently insert it until it is fully seated.
- Secure the controller in place by tightening the screw or latch.
- Connect the necessary cables to the controller, ensuring proper alignment and secure connections.
- Replace the server cover or bracket.
- Connect the server to the power source and power it on.
Once the server is powered on, the Smart Array G6 Controller should be recognized by the system, and you can proceed with configuring and managing your storage arrays.Hpe wellness days: prioritizing team member well-being
How to Access HP Smart Array Configuration Utility?
The HP Smart Array Configuration Utility (ACU) is a powerful tool that allows you to configure and manage your storage arrays. Here are the steps to access the ACU:
- If an optional controller is not installed, press F10 during boot.
- If an optional controller is installed, when the system recognizes the controller during POST, press F5.
By following these steps, you will be able to access the ACU and start configuring your storage arrays. The ACU provides a range of features, including online array capacity expansion, logical drive extension, RAID configuration, and advanced controller settings. It also offers diagnostic tools and on-screen tips to guide you through the configuration process.
For the best performance, ensure that your display settings meet the minimum requirements of 1024x768 resolution and 16-bit color. Additionally, make sure that you are using a supported browser, such as Internet Explorer 0 or later, or Mozilla Firefox 0 or later for servers running Microsoft operating systems. For Linux servers, refer to the README.TXT file for browser compatibility and support information.
For more detailed information on the Smart Array G6 Controller and its features, consult the HP Smart Array Controllers for HP ProLiant Servers User Guide available on the HP website. Additionally, the Configuring Arrays on HP Smart Array Controllers Reference Guide provides step-by-step instructions for configuring arrays.Hpe 401k plan: benefits, matching, and enrollment process
How to Disable HP Smart Array?
If you need to change the boot mode to Legacy BIOS Mode, it is necessary to disable the HPE Smart Array S100i Controller. Here's how:
- Access the HPE Apollo 4200 Gen10 system software interface for updating, maintaining, or monitoring.
- Locate the HPE ProLiant XL420 Gen10 Server as the product name in the interface.
- Disable the HPE Smart Array S100i Controller from the interface by following the provided instructions.
By disabling the HPE Smart Array S100i Controller, you can change the boot mode to Legacy BIOS Mode as needed.
Frequently Asked Questions
Can I use the Smart Array G6 Controller with SATA drives?
Yes, the Smart Array G6 Controller is compatible with both SAS and SATA drives. This allows businesses to choose the drive type that best suits their storage needs.
Can I expand the capacity of my storage arrays with the Smart Array G6 Controller?
Yes, the Smart Array G6 Controller supports online array capacity expansion. This means that you can add additional drives to your existing arrays without disrupting the operation of the system.
Does the Smart Array G6 Controller support RAID configurations?
Yes, the Smart Array G6 Controller supports various RAID configurations, including RAID levels 0, 1, 5, 6, 10, 50, and 60. This allows businesses to configure their storage arrays for optimal performance, fault tolerance, and data protection.Enhance your printing experience with hp color
Is the Smart Array G6 Controller compatible with HPE Synergy D3940 Gen10 Storage Module?
Yes, the Smart Array G6 Controller is compatible with the HPE Synergy D3940 Gen10 Storage Module. It offers connectivity options for both internal and external drives, allowing businesses to utilize the storage capabilities of the module.
Can I encrypt the data stored on the drives connected to the Smart Array G6 Controller?
Yes, the Smart Array G6 Controller offers encryption for data-at-rest on any drive. This ensures the security of sensitive information stored on the drives connected to the controller.
The HPE Smart Array G6 Controller is a reliable and high-performance storage solution for businesses. With its support for SAS and SATA drives, RAID configurations, and encryption capabilities, it offers the flexibility and security needed to meet the evolving data storage needs of enterprises. By following the installation and configuration instructions, businesses can maximize the performance and storage capacity of their systems with the Smart Array G6 Controller.